- Whole pastured chicken
- 3 tablespoons butter
- salt & pepper
- 5-10 cloves garlic (5 big, 10 small- totally optional, but flavors your chicken without overwhelming it.)
- herbs (parsley, rosemary, marjoram and sage are all good- a teaspoon to coat the skin is all you need. You can also substitute in your own rubs and recipes!)
- Preheat oven to 475
- Prep the bird! Wash inside and out and pat dry. Place in baking dish breast up and put tabs of butter on the back, legs and wings. Season with salt, pepper, and herbs. Take 5-10 cloves of garlic, smash, peel and place in cavity with another tab of butter.
- Place prepared bird in oven and let cook on heat blast for 15 minutes. After initial blast, turn oven down to 400 and finish cooking. A pastured chicken only needs 10 minutes of roasting per pound, so be careful not to overcook!
- When the internal temperature reads 165, remove from oven, cover and let stand for 10-15 minutes, carve, serve, enjoy! The drippings and a clove or two of garlic make excellent gravy!